Secure Delete – CCleaner
One of the best secure delete products is “CCleaner”. It can be added to your Recycle bin to secure delete old files.
What does it do?
- CCleaner removes lots of “hidden” caches that may risk your privacy
- It’s free
- It has an easy to use windows interface – runs on Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
- It can wipe “slack” space – the space between space, within your file structure (a favourite haunt of forensics teams looking for fragments of digital evidence).
- It will free significant amounts of disk space for you.
Where can I download it?
Default setting starts with:
- Cleaner > Windows > Run Cleaner
- Cleaner > Applications > Run Cleaner
Next we can secure delete your free space on the hard drive (takes several hours, but a good security feature)
Tools > Drive Wiper
- Free Space (default drop down box) or Entire drive (if you’re reselling your laptop)
- Security – Overwrite (3 passes)
Information on Overwriting.
Deleted Data can often be recovered, after a single overwrite. So the defaults on CCleaner are 3 overwrites. Military spec (7 passes). Gutmann is 35 passes, and that’s far too slow, but you would use Gutmann’s if you’re holding nuclear blueprints and Top Secret Material.
Options > Settings
- Tick Run CCleaner to recycle bin
- Right click on the Recycle bin – and CCleaner will run a secure delete on its contents for you.
Have fun, and be safe.